Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Weekend in Gatlinburg Part 2: A skier's dream

Not bad, eh? On Saturday morning we woke up and I insisted on going for a walk-run because I was supposed to log 3 miles for my marathon training. No rest for the wicked...but it was beautiful and we were treated to some pretty awesome views. Side fact: The reason they are called "Smoky Mountains" is because of the perma-fog/clouds that sit within them. Now You Know! (Insert 90's television voice here)
After semi-exercising we headed into Gatlinburg to explore drink beer. Gatlinburg is very funny - VERY touristy, lots of souvenir shops and pancake houses, but also giant movie theaters, haunted houses (which I totally went in), oh - and no snow. BUT - that doesn't stop them from opening a ski resort! I was confused, as people were in ski boots with no snow to be seen, but I payed my $12 to board the 40-person gondola up to Ober Gatlinburg.
Never seen a water slide at a ski resort
Now, even the gondola was not like anything I've seen. There was actually a tour guide, pointing out sights such as the "Barbie Dream house" replica, and the Chick-fil-A house. And making the entire gondola go "WHOOOAAAA!" as we crossed over the towers. Oh - and before we entered, our crew was made to stand in front of a green screen for a photograph that they would transpose onto a background, and sell you for $16. I don't totally understand this, as there are lovely view points around.
They tried to stop me, but I was too fast!
When you exit the 10-minute gondola ride, you are basically in West Edmonton Mall. There is a carousel, an indoor skating rink, a shooting range, and (shocking!) many more souvenir shops. We, naturally, headed straight upstairs to the lodge (at this point we passed a locker room bearing the first thing resembling skiers I've seen). Once upstairs in the lodge, I finally saw the snow. And the outdoor water slide. And long, long, long line-ups of eager skiers. Here is what they paid $54 (plus the gondola!) for:
I'm definitely spoiled
I count 8 runs. I am obviously spoiled, but I mean this makes Canada Olympic Park look massive! Anyway, the beer was cold, there was a great band, and we played the true lodge bunny role!

In my next post...the moonshine distillery!

No comments:

Post a Comment