The threat of up to a quarter of an inch of ice is triggering closures throughout Middle Tennessee, including early closures for county offices and school in Montgomery County. After-school classes and some activities have been cancelled in Nashville.Okay, not the most pleasant thing ever. To clarify, you do not have to stay indoors because of flying ice chunks, it's basically sleet that instantly freezes. If you are interested in the difference between sleet, snow, and freezing rain, there's an excellent explanation here. One of my coworkers told me that Tennessee has "french toast storms" - people stock up on eggs, milk, and bread! Yesterday I had to scrape a layer of ice off my Jeep, because I, stupidly left my snow brush in Alberta! Actually, I recall being quite smug about it to my Dad: "here - you can keep this! I'm having a snow-less winter!". Wasn't feeling so smug trying to chip off ice with the lid of my travel mug. And isn't it incredible that they close all the schools and send workers home for a little ice storm? I mean, can you imagine if that happened every time it snowed in Calgary?? I hear stories of sheet ice, and there are a lot of accidents. Anyway, everyone in Teneessee and Alberta - be safe!
Fortunately it is warming up to 14 degrees C this weekend for my second group run! 5 miles at 6:45am on Saturday. I'm a keener! And glad to not have to do it in an ice storm.
Oh - and in other news, so SO excited because Jessica and I just booked a 18-sleeper cabin for the weekend of Jan 25-27! Their family and friends (the ones I met from Crossville) book a cabin every year after Christmas in Gatlinburg, which is the Smokey Mountain version of Banff. Check out the cabin here, it has a hot tub, pool table, air hockey, arcade games and theater and is costing us $30 each per night! Officially can not wait. You better believe a blog post is coming!
![]() |
| The view of the "mountains" |
![]() |
| Can NOT wait! |


Watch out for "coon" hunters :p
ReplyDelete