Monday, January 7, 2013

Seen and heard at the Nashville airport

Welcome back to Adventures in Nashtown! The last 3 weeks have been pretty fantastic, and I will share some highlights later, but in the meantime my commentary on the airport.

Flying in and out of BNA is always entertaining. It actually may be my new favourite airport, in part because before your flight you can have a beer and enjoy some entertainment at either of the two "World Famous Tootsie's lounges" - the same that is on lower Broadway. The walls are covered in Hatch Show Prints of concerts over the years, and the carpet design has guitar strings and music notes in it.

The mix of people getting off the planes is even more interesting than the airport - it is a very diverse group of hipsters, wannabe musicians, straight-from-the-bible-belters, and tourists. And I'm sure some overlap between those groups as well. And of course I always keep my eyes open for some genuine (read: famous) musicians, although haven't seen any yet. That I've recognized. Here are a few of the funny things I heard and saw yesterday:

HEARD ON THE PA SYSTEM:
"If you just arrived from Vegas and are missing a firearms case and a guitar, they are on the right of Carousel 5" - honestly heard on my flight January 6. Cracked me up.
"Hey y'all. I'm Tim McGraw. Welcome to the Nashville International Airport".
(and an assortment of other country music stars inviting you to wash your hands to prevent the flu, keep your bags within eyesight at all times, and double check your claim stubs)

SEEN ON MY FLIGHT:
Man reading book entitled "The Path to Heaven"
Backpack buttons that say "The family that prays together stays together"
7-year-old girl from Calgary carrying a violin (I wish I could have found her to talk to her!)
1 carry-on guitar (read: paid for ticket), at least 3 more checked. I would be curious to see how this number changes based on the city of departure.

No comments:

Post a Comment