Friday, January 11, 2013

First challenge of 2013

There is no denying that 2012 was a pretty huge year for me - thanks Facebook for reminding me of that via my Year in Review post. I have now been back in Nashville for only 5 days and am already making crazy plans for 2013! Here is the craziest one.

I am going to run the Music City 1/2 Marathon on April 27! Whoa. First time I've put that in writing. This is very crazy for me for several reasons:
    • I am not a runner, and don't even particularly enjoy it
    • I don't believe I have ever run more than 5K at once
    • I cheated in grade 8 and cut the corners off the 3K loop we were supposed to do around the school grounds in gym class

So why am I doing it? Well, I love the idea of group accountability, and working toward a concrete goal, and just trying something new. I've been on a bit of a kick of trying new things since I moved down here, and I like this new me. I also find life is more exciting and "bloggable" when you are always trying new things and meeting new people. It also sounds really fun - 50 live bands and cheerleaders on the route, you run right down lower Broadway past all the honkey tonks, and at night there is an actual headliner concert with a well-known artist. So, after an email from a co-worker, I registered for a running training group. Now comes the REALLY crazy part.

Wait for it...

Ready?

We have group runs at 6:45 AM EVERY SATURDAY UNTIL APRIL 27. And not even in Nashville - in Brentwood, which is 15 minutes down the freeway.

I did not realize this when I registered. Buyer beware.

If anyone recalls me bumping my head when I was in Calgary, please let me know before I do anything else crazy. But, I'm going! Which is why it is 10PM on a Friday night and I am curled up on my couch, ready for an early night and an earlier morning. And will be on Friday's for the next 3.5 months. But hey - if anyone wants to make plans for Saturday nights, I'm in! And will feel like I deserve it!

Wish me luck, and share your tips! And not to worry, this blog will not become 100% training central...remember I still have Saturdays! Speaking of my blog <insert used car salesman voice here>, if you didn't see it below I posted an amusing anecdote of my plane trip home on Sunday! And, if you in fact missed it, did you know you can easily subscribe by email and never miss another of my scintillating posts?
#yepIworkinadvertising

Okay - bedtime! Happy 2013 friends near and far!

3 comments:

  1. You will get a ribbon... I just know it !!!
    Go Emily!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Emily! I read a blog, raechelmyers.com, who has done the St. Jude half and just yesterday blogged about putting together a group to possibly run it this year. I guess you have your own group going but might be interesting for you to read the blog anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom told me you're training for a half good for you! Remember to do leg drains after your long runs :)

    ReplyDelete