Saturday, October 20, 2012

My Temporary Home (that I tried to burn down)

Good evening readers! All 245 page views of you! (Now that doesn't mean 245 people have stopped by, that can be the same person 3 times, but I'm still kinda excited by that number for a random whim of an idea!) So tonight is my first evening alone, and I have to admit I was a little nervous about it, thinking I would sit in my lonely little apartment feeling sorry for myself, missing home and drowning my sorrows in wine. Well I am happy to report, that is not the case! I mean, I'm drinking wine, but I'm not sad! Instead, I spent the afternoon learning all about football from my friend Tess while watching the Michigan vs Michigan game, which was actually more fun than I thought. I mean, I still think football is crazy, but maybe I get why Americans treat it is a religion. Anyway, then I stopped at Trader Joe's (LOVE) and headed home to make some dinner, unpack a few boxes, clean up, pour some wine, write a blog post, maybe Skype a friend, and start a kitchen fire. Oh wait - that was just an added bonus! More below.

Anyway, I thought some of you may be interested to know where I am living now, so I took some pictures. As part of my relocation package, my company put me up in a "furnished executive apartment" for 30 days, so I have time to find a new place. So until November 10, I am living in the Cumberland apartments, which are right smack-dab downtown Nashville, 2 blocks from Lower Broadway and the famous "Honkey tonks". Very handy when my brothers were in town. The apartment is totally fine for now, a little dated and the hallways are overly air-freshened, but VERY clean and it has everything I need - bed, dishes, tv's, internet, etc. Pictures of my temporary home (excuse the unpacked boxes - I have to move again in 3 weeks!)








View from my balcony
 And now, for the high-drama part of the evening...my first kitchen fire! Well apparently my Teflon/electric stove skills don't transfer to cheap steal skillet/coil stove situations, because I managed to set my olive oil on fire! Flames, smoke, the whole nine yards. I didn't set off the building fire alarm (thank God - not sure how I would have explained that!), but I got it out, opened the patio doors, poured some more wine...I really shouldn't even bother trying to cook. Maybe I can write a hit country song about it...?

The aftermath of my fire. It was really quite dramatic -
more than it looks here. So innocent. Hah. That $5
frying pan from Walgreens will never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment