Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I'm no longer an illegal alien!

These excellent photoshop skills are NOT why I was hired by an ad agency.

It's been a few days since my last post, but I've been a busy girl! Finally things are coming together and I am getting a little more settled here in Tennessee, which helps me to feel less like a homeless squatter. Always a good thing. Here is why:
  1. I got my Social Security number today - YAY! EVERYONE asks for it, from banking to insurance to payroll - and they always look at you funny when you say you don't have one. Most of their "intelligent online systems" require one, so it has been everything from 000-00-0000 to my Canadian SIN #. ALSO - the waiting room at the Social Security office? Interesting place...metal detector when you walk in the door, big picture of Obama hanging above the door, pretty well every socio-economic demographic represented...welcome to the US of A!
  2. Also got my permanent debit card in the mail from Bank of America. No credit card yet, because I didn't have a Social Security number (see item #1), and it's ridiculously hard to move money down here...a 1-week hold on a Canadian bank-authorized money order in US funds? Ridiculous. Anyway, hopefully I'll get a Visa card with some kind of limit in the next couple weeks, which will help immensely to avoid my currency conversion fees, and also finally allow me to have access to the US iTunes store, and subsequently some US apps (Bank of America, AT&T, Songify) which will make my life so much easier. #firstworldproblems.
  3. I move into my new apartment tomorrow! Well, not quite, as I don't have much. But I get possession of my new apartment tomorrow, and will spend all weekend at Target/HomeGoods/thrift stores/friends garages searching for items to complete all 700 sqft of my shabby-chic/eclectic decor. If you are interested, you can see my Pinterest board (and add suggestions!) here. This move also involved such exciting tasks as visiting the Nashville Electric Company, calls to multiple insurance companies for Renter's insurance (ended up at Progressive - you know 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance!), online Target purchases. It all adds up, but it is kinda fun to start with a fresh slate and do whatever you want.
So, things are going swimmingly! Oh yah, I work too, but that hardly seems exciting to share! I'm going to the CMA Awards tomorrow night, so will definitely have an awesome post coming about that soon...VERY excited to see and hear basically every big country star under one roof! PS - did you know that if you like my blog and don't want to miss any posts you can subscribe by entering your email address on the right?

One last thing - Happy Halloween! I just thought this video was hiliarous :-)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Em!! I am soooo soooo jealous you are going to the CMAs!!! I am excited for you new apartment - I want to see lots of pics! Keep the awesome posts coming :)

    ReplyDelete