Friday, December 7, 2012

The Grammy Nomination Concert

Last night I went to the Grammy Nominations Concert, Live at Bridgestone Arena! It was hosted by LL Cool J and Taylor Swift (or T Swizzle, as he calls her. And yes he's old enough to be her dad), and had performances by the Band Perry, Dierks Bentley, Fun., Hunter Hayes, Maroon 5, Ne-Yo, and Luke Bryan. Not bad for a Wednesday night! T Swizzle and Mr Cool J were actually pretty cute together - if you didn't see it you should check out their "she raps he sings" performance here. Terrible, but endearing.
The theme of the grammy outfits was black and metallic.
Sooo many sequins! This is what we wore.
The funny part of the whole night, that you may not expect, is that there was no one there! The third bowl was completely curtained off, and we got awesome first bowl seats for $37 from scalpers 15 minutes before the show. They were actually giving out free floor tickets earlier in the afternoon, and it was still only less than half full. Compare this to the CMA Awards, where I paid $130 to sit in the 3rd bowl. Apparently Nashville really is a country town! Oh - and a small town, because I ran into 5 people I knew during the night! Considering I only know about 30 people in Nash, that's pretty impressive!

The show itself was short and sweet and fun. It was a live show and didn't start til 9pm, and the Grammy producer gave us all a lesson on clapping hard and cheering loud before it started. My favourite concert was probably Fun. with Janelle Monae - just because I love them. After the show was over, Maroon 5 stuck around and played another set (finishing with "She Will be Loved". It was a pretty female-heavy audience).

We finished the night off with beers and dancing at one of the local honkey tonks. We did see a couple girls there all dressed up to the 9's - when I complimented them on their "sparkliness" they said they were going to Luke Bryan's after party and "we should come!". And then, of course, disappeared. But I have my doubts anyway - they were literally in prom dresses "it's formal" they said, and I have a hard time believing that Luke Bryan of all performers would expect his guests to show up in penguin suits. So opportunity foregone, but it's only a matter of time til I find one of these parties for real!

To Luke Bryan: If I did in fact miss your party, I am terribly sorry. Call me and I'll make it up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment