Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Senator who drives the Capitol tree

On Monday morning when the alarm went off, the announcers were talking about the fact that the Capitol Christmas tree was making a stopover in Nashville. Even thought this may sound cheesy, my current life pretty much revolves around trying everything and embracing every opportunity, so after work I dutifully trekked down to Broadway across from Tootsies to see "the tree".

Well, this is not just a tree. We are talking a 74-year-old 73-foot tree from Colorado. Being carried in a huge semi truck (you can see the tree partially decorated through a window in the back). In case you were interested, it is an honor for a national forest to be chosen to provide the Capitol tree, which stands on the West Lawn in Washington, DC.
The truck of the tree.
Now, the really cool part is, I started chatting with the trucker driving this Christmas tree across the country. I mean, it is literally a matter of national security and importance - as he said "nice to have the cops leading you instead of chasing you". We started chatting, and I asked for a picture so hopped into the copilot seat!
Copilot of the tree!

So I told him my life story and how I ended up in Nashville, which he thought was pretty cool. He's done this tree trek once before and lives in Colorado. I asked if he's been a trucker forever and he chuckled and said "Here's a story for your blog. I'm a former US Senator".

Whaaaaaattt?

But for real, he wasn't pulling one on me. Handed me his business card, his name is Ben Nighthorse and he was a senator from Colorado for 12 years. According to Wikipedia, there's even a reservoir named after him. He is now happily retired and volunteers his time to drive a 73-foot Christmas tree across the country, making kids happy when they get their pictures with Santa. Like me!
I've been very good - I promise!
Safe journeys to Ben, the tree, and of course Mr and Mrs Claus!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my girl......Critical Mass is going to hang on pretty tight....if they don't lose you to Showbiz....they will certainly lose you to Journalism.
    Love, love your stories xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Emily! Sounds like you are having a riot and making the most of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! It looks like the perfect way to get into the Christmas spirit!! Santa and senators? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete