Wow! Hard to believe I have already been here for 4 weeks...time flies when you're having fun? And I really have been. For all my initial fears about being painfully homesick and lonely, I really haven't been. Big, BIG thanks to my CM Nashville
coworkers friends for that. It doesn't feel like home, and I don't expect it ever will, but it just feels like a really fun, extended vacation. My great adventure. Sure I've had a couple of moments when I've had a pang for Canada...as time goes by I am missing my home friends more and more because it's been too long...but the funny part is that I actually take it out on Nashville! I'll be talking to a friend and they'll say "but what an adventure! What a cool city!" and I think to myself "grumble grumble...it's not THAT cool...". LOL. But it really is.
Case in point. On Tuesday night my new apartment had a happy hour party in the club room, and I ended up chatting with a few girls who also live in my building. We decided to go find another drink (and a change of venue) so walked in the rain, on a Tuesday, during the presidential election, to 12th and Porter, a dive-bar-cool-Nashville-music-venue a block away. Where we were rewarded with an awesome barefooted-skinny-jean-wearing-acoustic-banjo-player. It doesn't get any more stereotypical Nashville hipster than that. We, of course, became his fans, bought a tshirt, in turn he promised to send us a digital copy of his CD if we tagged him on Instagram (#johngoldfl). I actually haven't gotten that CD yet...where is it John? Long story short? Awesome, random Tuesday night of live entertainment, for no cover and a $3 tallboy of Pabst Blue Ribbon.
 |
| No way that is sanitary |
And THAT is what I am loving so much about this city. Not only is there music everywhere, but also everyone is a musician. Honestly, the guy who signed me up for internet today at AT&T is. You just start to assume that everyone you meet is one. But it doesn't feel competitive, it feels supportive! And creative! And maybe a little bit earnest. Nashville people, or maybe southern people in general (I haven't ventured out too far yet) are seriously some of the nicest people I have ever met. It's all doors-being-held and "thank you ma'am" and no one is in a hurry anywhere. Pretty refreshing, actually.
My plans for the weekend are now a Joshua Radin concert Friday night (thx for the tix Lindsay!), and then a small-town farm party with the girls from my apartment. Will report back on life in smalltown Tennessee.
Happy weekend everyone!
I adore Joshua Radin! Is he touring with A Fine Frenzy in the States too? So glad you found that apartment - a stroke of luck!
ReplyDeleteI was laughing right out loud the whole time I was reading it! You have a funny attitude. I'm glad month one went well!
ReplyDeleteThe best part has to be skipping winter in Alberta!! Wish I was there...see you in NYC xox
ReplyDeleteI just adore you. And everything. I'm moving in... save a shelf in your shoe pantry!!
ReplyDeleteYou are ABSOLUTELY welcome to move in!! Please do! I will make space for you. You will lurrrve it <3
Delete