Quick – what are the 3 things you think of when you think of Kentucky?
I’ll wait for you…
Mine are the following:
- Fried Chicken (duh)
- Kentucky Derby
- Kentucky Bourbon
Well I am happy to report that I recently spent a weekend in Kentucky and participated in all 5 of these stereotypes! I drove with my bf Ross from Nashville to Lexington, which is about 3.5 hours with the purpose of attending the Keeneland horse races, which occur every October and April (so I am told. Not Wiki’d as I am writing this on an airplane to Calgary and too cheap to pay for Wi-Fi).
Keeneland was SUCH a cool experience. If your vision of Kentucky includes rolling, lush green hills, beautiful horse stables that are bigger and fancier than most homes, and miles and miles of white picket fences, you would be accurate. The Keeneland races are structured similarly to the Kentucky Derby – everyone gets dressed up (men in suits, ladies in dresses and optionally hats) and sets up tailgate parties on the hill overlooking the race park. After an appropriate number of mimosas, drunken pineapple shots, and “sammies” (cute little southern mini sandwiches) have been consumed, preferably while playing corn hole (aka bean bag toss for my Canadians), [and after sneaking into the stables to meet the horses and actually ride an ex-race horse named Buddy!] we trekked up to the stables, paid $15, and we were in!
![]() |
| Me & Buddy |
![]() |
| Jockeys coming into the race track. They are TINY! |
![]() |
| C'mooon "My Harlequin Man!" |
On Sunday after a hair-of-the-dog brunch, we began the drive back to Nashville and opted to stop at the Four Roses bourbon distillery for a tour and tasting, because when on the Kentucky Bourbon trail…
I didn’t come 100% clear on why all the bourbon distilleries are in Kentucky. I’m sure they told me, but if you read the rest of this post you may understand why I didn’t retain all the info I was told. Something to do with clean water sources. Or prohibition. But anyway, they are. Oh – I did learn that Four Roses was once sold for medicinal purposes, though. Apparently there is some truth to the concept of “self medication”.
After one last stop at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green (I didn’t go in – need to wait for my brothers to do that! Also didn’t get to see the sinkhole that swallowed 5 cars, although that sounds a little sketchy anyway), we arrived back in Nashville, exhausted, fulfilled, and ready to check Kentucky off the bucket list.
![]() |
| I make this look good. Even though this is just the lobby. |





I think it's safe to say you have Kentucky under your hat��
ReplyDelete