I have not brought my specs with me.
I have not brought my specs with me!
I am so happy to say, that is no longer my song! (Yes, it was. I was pretty awesome that way). But on May 10, I had LASIK surgery, and it has officially changed my life forever. It was something I had talked about doing for a year or two, because my contacts just weren't working anymore. I couldn't wear them to work, or basically past 11PM, without being very uncomfortable and essentially dousing them in eye drops every 15 minutes. Then I moved to a hot and sunny part of the world, which further enhanced my desire to be able to wear sunglasses when driving or going for lunch, and to not worry about my contacts when in the pool or out at night. Also, it turns out that Nashville is a bit of a hot bed for LASIK, so it is constantly being advertised and always on my mind. It's not covered by Canadian or American health care, the price is pretty comparable, and I felt like with so many doctors down here the technology sharing would be quite advanced. So, after my consult told me I was a perfect candidate, I made the appointment!
The lead up to the surgery is pretty painless. Full eye exam, then another on a separate day with dilation (to make sure your prescription doesn't change when dilated). No wearing contacts for a week so your eyes don't change shape at all, and prescription drops that I'm told are essentially Aspirin for your eyes. I have to admit, week of I started to get pretty nervous and not sleep very well, but the excitement of waking up and being able to see kept me going.
Then came surgery day. Mandy, my babysitter and chaperone for the day, brought me to the ophthalmologist office at 7:45am and was able to come back with me as they checked my prescription a final time, and gave me freezing eye drops and a cup of Valium to relax me during the procedure. Then we headed to the "Zen" room - ie stoner room - where we learned that I am a pretty tame high person who just so happens to love puppies and kitties. And not Conan O'Brien.
![]() |
| Pre-op - I got this! And a name tag, in case I don't remember who I am after the Valium kicks in. |
After 10 minutes of unfocused flipping through People magazines, I headed into surgery, which involved lying on a bed and a giant laser machine above my head. I was told to always stare at the blinking green dot, which disappeared in a halo of stars for a micro-second, and went pretty blurry when I could feel them lift the top flap of my eye (sorry if that's an overshare!), and crystal clear when they put it back down. The actual procedure took only 2 MINUTES per eye, and was painless, other than the mild pinch of the spacer that kept my eye open. Props to my surgeon Dr Bregman who sang Beach Boys in the OR, and to Mandy who was actually brave enough to watch the whole thing through the window!
After the procedure I walked back to the exam room (with help, as I was pretty stoned) where my flaps and eyes were checked, was given awesome wrap-around glasses, and sent home in the care of Mandy to sleep for a minimum of 4 hours (eyes shut - no reading or TV). Total time at the office was 1 hour and 15 minutes. Incredible.
When I woke up around 2PM, I could see! My eyes felt pretty scratchy and sandpaper-y, but I could read the clock without reaching for my glasses, which was a first since Grade 2. I started a regimen of prescription drops - steroidal and anti-inflammatory, watched some TV, and went to bed with my wrap-around glasses on, to prevent me from rubbing my eyes in my sleep.
![]() |
| The ultra-stylish protective goggles. Best souvenir ever. |
The next morning, I woke up and my vision was perfect, and my eyes were comfortable. I drove myself to my follow up appointment at 9AM - 24 hours after I left surgery, and was measured at 20-15 vision in both eyes, which is better than perfect! I spent the day outside and enjoying my life wearing my large frame sunglasses to protect from any dust and the brightness of the sun, but felt awesome overall.
It has now been 10 days since my surgery, and I can't even say how happy I am that I did it. My outdoor day vision is perfect - I am so happy to be able to wear my sunglasses driving, and have had no sensitivity to the sun. Work is slightly less than perfect, with computer screens, air conditioning, and fluorescent lights, but that will improve with time. I also have some mild halos and glare during the evening and in artificial light situations, but that is normal after LASIK for the first few weeks. This week is already better than last week. I had my one-week follow up on Wednesday, and was told everything is healing perfectly and I don't have to be paranoid about splashing/dust/touching my eyes anymore. The hardest part of the first week was actually not being able to wear eye makeup for 7 days (no rubbing your eyes to take it off), but it was actually a little liberating too...red lipstick was involved.
Every day I am feeling and seeing better, and I was so excited when I was out with my friends last weekend, that it was past 11PM and I didn't want to rip my eyes out. First time since age 7! Definitely looking forward to a summer of pool time and sunglasses.
I will not bring my specs with me!


No comments:
Post a Comment