Saturday, May 4, 2013

Everyone has a dream...

After a week of sunshine and 80-degree weather while I was working, the Nashville weather had decided to absolutely pour rain all weekend, putting a literal damper on plans of bike rides, street festivals, and long runs.

I am attempting to make the best of this situation by planning to spend a lot of time in a cafe with a book this weekend. And this morning, by going for a walk with my umbrella to my spa appointment. (Side note: puddle walks are great when you are a kid with colourful gum boots and no fear of worms. Not quite so charming in flip flops that fall off every 20 feet because you thought it wouldn't matter if they get wet. Apparently my life is not the magazine editorial I hoped it was.) Anyway, I made it to the spa, feet a little wet but polka dot umbrella saving everything else, and met my wonderful aesthetician Renee.

Now some spa girls like to gab, but I have never heard anyone with stories like Renee. She just so happens to be the granddaughter of none other than Tootsie (of Tootsies World Famous Orchid Lounge, in case that needed explaining.) Her parents and grandparents were all in the country music business, and in her words she grew up with famous people singing in the basement and tour buses in the driveway. Her first break into music was as a backup singer for Patti Loveless. And her high point? On tour with Faith Hill, during her biggest years.

Today? She "found The Lord" 20 years ago. Calls herself a "Pento-bapti-holic. Works as a new artist manager and still singing backup for a 20-year-old who opened for Alabama in NYC this week. And when she is in town, loves her job doing "the best gel nails in Nashville" and waxing at Cashmere SalonSpa. I will definitely be going back - for the nails and the stories.
Rainy day calls for polka dots! Just need some rubber boots...

No comments:

Post a Comment