It is Saturday night at 9pm, I am in my pajamas with a glass of wine, and I am blissfully happy. Don't scoff, let me explain why this is such a big deal. I'm getting deep here - consider yourself warned.
My biggest fear in moving to Nashville was leaving my wonderful, established friend circle behind and having to start from scratch. Fortunately I met and connected with some great people right out of the starting gate, but for my first few months in Nashville I hated being home alone on a Saturday night. I needed validation that I had friends, and a social life, and some crazy night out to literally "write home about".
Well last weekend, my friend Lauren visited from Canada, my first visitor, and we just had a perfect weekend. She got to meet all of my friends, see all of my favourite places, and experience the Nashville that I have come to know and love. This was the first time my two lives have really intersected, and it made everything so much more real. And I had multiple moments over the past weekend where I was hugely grateful for the people I have met, and who have become part of my life. The visit served as validation of the life I have created, and I think pushed me from my semi-insecure new-kid-in-town phase to a more comfortable, confident, ready-for-anything place.
Which brings me to my Saturday night. The truth is that we were out every day last weekend Thursday-Monday, and I feel certain I will be out next weekend, based on the forecast of warm spring days in the 20s. So after a day of volunteering with coworkers and a lovely hour-long wander of Whole Foods, I spoiled myself with cheese and honey, halibut with homemade mango salsa, roasted asparagus, and red wine. Fancy right? Oh yes - I've started cooking all my own meals! It's amazing what Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, plus training for a half marathon can inspire you to do...more on that later. Anyway, with bubble bath complete, wine poured, candles lit, and PJ's on, I am very, very happy to start The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Maybe I'll learn something - I don't think the word wallflower has ever been used to describe me.

No comments:
Post a Comment