It's been a while since my last blog post, but life has been busy! Filled with 1/2 marathon training (still going strong!), new friends, and a visit from an old friend. All wonderful, exciting things. But I have now been to the Grand Ole Opry twice and really felt that it warranted a blog post!
The Grand Ole Opry is the world's oldest radio show (it started before there was radio), and the tool that brought country music to the world. I won't go into all the details, because if you care you can read about it
here, but this is a very historical and prestigious show that still runs 2x a week and is broadcast live, now on SiriusXM instead of just AM radio waves. The shows each have about 12 performers, and they are a mix of fun young performers and adorable old-timers with coveralls and "real thick twangs".
February 1 was my first show, although I did go on the backstage tour with my family in June. This was a great line-up to kick of the spring/summer season: Carrie Underwood, Gloriana, Sarah Darling, Charles Esten (Deacon from
Nashville), and the Blue Sky Riders, which includes member Kenny Loggins! The amazing part is, we got an incredible concert with all these performers for only $50. And - not everyone knows this, but you are actually allowed to go right up to the stage to take pictures, no matter where your seats are. As long as you stay low to not block the view of those behind you. Hardly anyone takes advantage of this (except for huge stars like Carrie Underwood), so I honestly sat alone on the stage steps for entire acts.
 |
| Kenny Loggins - still young at 65! |
 |
| The band Gloriana |
I don't even know that I could pick a favourite act from that night. Sarah Darling was beautiful, and I loved that the cute little old man in coveralls invited her up to "purdy up the stage". The lead singer of Gloriana lives in my apartment building! Kenny Loggins made my childhood dreams come true. I listened to Back to Pooh Corner all day, and the entire audience joined in singing when he played "Even Though we Ain't Got Money" - I got some of the performance on YouTube
here. Truly magical moment. And, of course, being 6 feet away from Carrie Underwood belting out Blown Away wasn't too bad either.
Last night I headed back because my friend Lauren was in town from Canada, and just because we had so much fun the first time! The acts were slightly smaller but no less impressive. There were names I didn't know I knew - like Maggie Rose ("I Ain't Your Mama"), Aaron Tippin in a VERY tight red mockneck and skinny jeans! ("Stars and Stripes" and "Kiss This"), Jonathan Jackson (Avery in
Nashville), and the finale act - Old Crow Medicine Show! Lauren and I of course went right to the stage for this, and again there weren't many with us. Which blows my mind. I took a terrible quality video of "Wagon Wheel" - Lauren had just gotten in trouble for recording (pictures only), but I couldn't resist. It's on YouTube
here.
The great part about last night was the group - so many wonderful friends, new and old who are just making my life in Nashville so rich! Demon eyes aside, I love this picture. Also the fact that we all somehow coordinated our outfits and picture order without even knowing it. Great minds eh?
 |
| Lauren W, Lauren M, Mandy, me, Racheal, Jessica, and Tiffany |
So excited to visit in March!!
ReplyDeleteLove your stories....love you too xox