Friday, September 5, 2014

Silence does not equal boredom

Hello! It has been a while since my last post. 4 months actually, in which I have been too busy soaking up my last summer in Nashville to write about it! Here's what's been going on...
  1. I booked my flight to Australia! I land in Melbourne December 28 (er - maybe that's the 27th in North America?) and will ring in New Years 2015 with my favourite Aussie Kate!
  2. I've been doing all kinds of exciting travel research...reading stories, making plans, researching tours and lodging and backpacks and making wish lists...I have a pretty extensive Excel document growing. That's the Project Manager in me. Some of my fave blogs so are are Angie Away, Get Up and Globe, Camels and Chocolate, and Nomadic Matt.
  3. I have 39 days of work left! But who's counting? Now, I am extremely grateful for my job and the opportunities it has provided, but see point #3 above and you'll understand my restlessness.
  4. Nashville has turned into a ZOO! Or maybe I'm just starting to detach myself and mentally prepare for my departure? But it seems big articles in the NYTimes like this have turned it into quite the hot spot. Or everyone found out I am here...but you can hardly get into a honkey tonk on a Friday night and can't throw stone or kick up a boot without hitting a bachelorette party. Dang tourists. Still love this town, though...instead of honkey tonking, I've spent the summer with my friends "cabrewing" the Harpeth River, rafting the Ocoee, and drinking a wee bit of wine at Kix Brooks' Arrington Vineyards. Plus enjoying the amazing new restaurants that pop up on a seemingly weekly basis!  
  5. The other half of #memily miss Mandy McMillan released her first EP, and I got a backstage pass to her EP release party in Edmonton! And even got on stage to sing "Life That's Good" with her...hey Mandy - just remember these perks when you are playing sold-out stadiums, mmkay? Check out her EP on iTunes!
  6. My mom and dad came down to visit for my 26th birthday, and it was an awesome 5 days of dinners, wine, and meeting all my friends who have made my life in Nashville so full. We also got to go to the Bluebird and hear legendary songwriter Tony Arata perform a little ditty called "The Dance" that was made famous by some young kid from Oklahoma...name rhymes with "Hearth Cooks". Then again, I'm no stranger to rubbing elbows with some pretty epic songwriters! 
  7. I have visited and explored Ohio and Louisville, Kentucky for the first time. Although both of these road trips included torrential thunderstorms that made driving through a blizzard look easy.
  8. I went home to Alberta for the Labour Day weekend and my brother's birthday, and got myself all excited for the month I will spend there at home between adventures, catching up with friends and family and enjoying the festive Christmas season in the snow, as it is supposed to be enjoyed. At least until I fly to Hawaii and Australia.
  9. Speaking of which, I'm planning my road trip home! Accepting applications for a co-pilot if anyone has a burning desire to drive from Nashville to Calgary in a loaded-down Jeep Compass in early November.
  10. In case you've been under a rock or are somehow not on Facebook and yet still see this blog, I've fallen in love <3. Which explains the trips in #7 and 8. And even 6, partially. But more on that to come later ;-)
So that's what's up! Here are a few photos from my summer...

Hiding from a Tornado warning in LP Field with Kristen and
Mandy at CMA Fest 
Cabrewing the Harpeth. It's a thing.
Ringing in the 4th with fireworks on Broadway
Glo Run with Amanda and Emily
Rafting the Ocoee with the Cabin Family.
I didn't want to stay in the boat

Farewell sushi dinner to Sarah (heading to PN for her MBA)
 on the rooftop at Virago, overlooking Union Station
Birthday dinner at Husk with Mom, Dad, and #10 
Learning how to say "Louisville" 
Top of Ha Ling Peak in Canmore


1 comment:

  1. Love your story Emily...so looking forward to the next chapter xoxo

    ReplyDelete