Thursday, November 7, 2013

Rubbing elbows

Sometimes, cool things happen to me that I want to blog about, but I almost get embarrassed to share the story. I guess the Nashville way of staying low-key and acting "cool" is rubbing off! But to heck with that, I have readers, and readers (including my 90-year-old self!) need stories... so here is my shameless story of my travels with a Canadian country star.

When I flew from Calgary to Nashville in April after my trip home, I was checking into my flight at the United counter and saw a guy right behind me with a guitar case. In a bout of outgoingness (that's a word) I asked him:
"Can I assume you are on my flight to Nashville?"
"Yah I am, my band played last night at the Deerfoot Inn"
"Oh cool - what's your band called?"
"Well it's my band - we did our usual Nashville North show"
"I'm at Nashville North every year - what's your name?"
"Deric Ruttan"
"Oh yah cool I've definitely seen you before! (name rings a bell, but don't ask me one of his songs)

So by this point we are checking in and heading to customs and I have time for a quick Google - yep he's a Canadian singer, but has also written tons of songs for huge Nashville names including: What Was I Thinkin'" and "Lot of Leavin' Left to Do" by Dierks Bentley, "Hold My Beer" and "My Way" by Aaron Pritchett, "Guys Like Me" and "Hell on the Heart" by Eric Church, "Promise Broken" by Gary Allan (thanks Wikipedia). And most recently, "Mine Would be You", on Blake Shelton's new album. Which went #1 today on US Country Radio!

So now I've established that he is kinda a big deal, but more importantly, also super nice and interesting and traveling alone like me and also living as a Canadian transplant in Nashville. So we chatted at the gate, and then landed in Houston a few hours later and both had the same 3-hour layover. So we agreed to grab dinner at TGIFridays, where we talked about my life and job and his 5 kids (all in their 20s scattered across the States), and Canada and visas and the business of music. He's been in Nashville for 18 years, was on tour for a long time doesn't play out much anymore except for the odd Stampede show, and because, as he put it, touring isn't much of a lifestyle when you have a family. One of my favourite things he said? That growing up in Ontario his dream was to be in theater and he was in high school musical productions. My inner theater geek definitely lit up there.

When we landed in Nashville he and his wife were kind enough to offer me a ride home, and I honestly felt like I had a new friend! He hasn't seen me since that day, but I have seen him at the CCMA Awards, and it turns out he was at the Blake Shelton concert I went to last month! It's a small town, it's only a matter of time...and Mr. Ruttan, if you ever happen to read this, thanks again for the stories, the ride, and making my travel day a lot more interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment